Sunday, April 13, 2008

Roadtrip

So our trip to Missouri has come and gone and there's not much to say about it. It was close to a 10 hour drive with lots of rain on and off and several missed turns (thanks to Shannon!) and driving through the middle of nowhere in Arkansas and Missouri. When we finally arrived to our hotel it was freezing! From some stupid reason I didn't look up the weather and took Cary's word that it was nice and warm. Boy was he wrong! So after we checked in we headed over to Wal Mart so I could buy a sweater for my dress the next day and a sweat shirt. I planned on bringing one but forgot on my way out the door. I just found the cheapest sweat shirt Wal Mart had and it just so happened to be a High School Musical zip up hoodie. I have to say I instantly thought of Amy's little girl Rylee (she LOVES HSM). I for one have never seen it but would like too one of these days.
So Thursday morning we got up early to head over to Fort Leornard Wood for Cary's graduation. I never thought I would go to an Army graduation and I was glad I had the chance. I've always been thankful for those Service men and women who risk their lives on my behalf, but to be there on the base my gratitude was overwhelming. While watching the little videos during the graduation really made me think about all that has been sacrificed for each of us. My dad, grandpa and father-in-law and many friends are veterans and I'm so thankful for all those who serve so faithfully for our country. So now on with the graduation. I really don't know Cary that well but it was exciting to see Shannon all wound up to see him and all the proud parents there to support their children. After the ceremony we met up with Cary outside his barracks and he had most of the day to hang out...with Shannon that is! We had brunch at Cracker Barrel and then they dropped me off at the hotel to go take care of a few things on the base. At brunch we had talked about maybe renting a movie at the hotel at going out to dinner but at 6 I was a bit annoyed that I still never heard from either of them! I had sat in that hotel room all day and was bored out of my mind! I didn't really want to call and bother them but I had had enough. I know our main reason for going was for Nana to see Cary but come on what do you expect me to do ALL day by myself with no car and freezing cold, wet weather?!?! There were several places I could of walked to but it was drizzling all day and I only had my HSM sweatshirt to keep me warm! When I finally called me and Shannon had a little argument and were just both annoyed at each other. A little while later she called back saying they were leaving to meet up with some of Cary's friend's for dinner and asked if I wanted to come. Well since I had no time what-so-ever to get ready and the fact that we were still annoyed with each other I didn't go. Which left me in the hotel room by myself for another 3 hours until Shannon got back from bringing Cary back to the base. By then I was so ready to go home and leave bright and early so I could see my kids before they went to bed but then Shannon informs me that we can see Cary at the bus stop and we didn't end up leaving until 11! I was annoyed but we talked it out and I just tried to remember that she probably won't see him for a whole year. But to make matters worse the next morning was so cold and windy while we were saying bye and then I got carsick as soon as we started driving home. Luckily I was able to fall asleep quickly or I would of really been sick. So in all the trip wasn't quite what I expected it to be but I am happy Nana got to see Cary and that I was able to cheer future soldiers on at their graduation. Now for a few pictures.

Me and Shannon waiting for graduation to start I don't think Cary is anywhere in this picture but these are the graduates marching to their barracks after the graduation ceremony. Me or Shannon couldn't find Cary...it was like finding Where's Waldo Cary walking with his bag to line up with his platoon (he later said he was not trying to look for Shannon b/c he wanted to look tough and not smile when he saw her)Cary's smile when he sees Nana for the first time...cute I love this picture of the two of them-they're both so happyThe 3 of us checking Cary out for the daySaying goodbye at the bus stop (Cary trying to a tough guy again)

5 comments:

thecaillouets said...

tell him we are so proud of him for making that choice to serve our country. i think every guy should serve atleast 4 years. it would help our country and teach them great lessons for life.

Murray Family said...

Oh wow! Sounds like quite the trip! Haha :).

amy said...

Sounds like an eventful trip! I am sure your sis loved having you there even if you did get annoyed with each other.

Love that you got a HSM jacket and that you thought of Ry. Now, I think you need to watch the movies. They are pretty entertaining.

Meg said...

Wow, the trip sounds like it had some great moments! Love the photos and seeing you :-)

Amanda said...

Wow... what a trip.

Thats all I'll say about that.