Monday, November 24, 2008

Assault & Battery

Tonight we were able to go to dinner with an old mission companion and roommate of Joe's while the kids stayed at my moms. We had a great time catching up with Austin and missed seeing his cute wife, Rachel. Once we got back to pick up the kids we let them play for a little longer while Joe was checking the score of the Saints came and mom and I were chatting. Next thing you know Kaiden starts crying (not his usual whining that's seems to be an everyday part of our lives right now). Joe rushes in there to see Kaiden taking a beating from his little sister. She had one of those toy recorders in her hand and as Joe makes the corner she knocks Kaiden with it right on the forehead. We sent her straight to time out while Kaiden is full out screaming now. Once he started to settle down we asked him where else Kalli hit him and he showed us the back of his head. Poor thing there was a small amount of blood and already a knot, she knocked him hard! The thing with her hitting the back of us head is that he was obviously minding his own business not teasing her at all and she just did a sneak attack from behind. She has been really aggressive with Kaiden lately (sometimes for good reason but others just out of the blue) and I'm not sure what to do about it. I know a lot of it comes from getting pushed around at such an early age by Kaidne but I feel so bad for Kaiden b/c he's trying to be so good and not do anything back while she's all over him. Just the other day he's whining which happens a lot in the morning for no reason. He wasn't saying what was wrong so I figured he just spilt his milk or something silly when I finally walked in Kalli has one of his cheeks in b/t her fingers pinching and pulling it as hard as she can. And on a everyday basis she's pushing him with both hands-hard! and also laying on top of him where he can't get up. Well I say he can't get up but he probably could if he tried but he just lets it happen. How do I help him to understand that its okay to push her off if she's on top of him beating him up or pinching him but its not okay to push just because? A comment of Joe's comes to mind as I'm writing this, talking to me the other morning he asks, "What have you created?!". If you know me you know Kalli gets her feisty side from yours truly...what have I gotten myself into??
The cut on the back of his head actually looks worse but I couln't really get a good picture with his hair in the way.

5 comments:

Craig, Robyn, Noah and Kaiden... said...

My Kaiden is doing the same thing to Noah!! Perhaps it's a second child thing??
Classic example...they were both just in Noah's room watching Shrek before bed and then all of a sudden Noah comes out screaming - Kaiden had attacked him with a bat!! Yes it was a padded one but still!!
Noah could easily take Kaiden down if he wanted to, and sometimes he does don't you worry, but generally Kaiden has him covered!
Don't get me wrong, 85% of the time my boys play great together. And when they do fight it certainly isn't always Kaiden starting it. But he does seem more aggresive than Noah, it's just him tho.
I'm with you tho on wandering how to control it...I don't like yelling at him or smacking him because that's what he is getting in trouble for doing so it doesn't make sense!! But he's still a bit little for time out and he doesn't really get it...probably a bit like Kalli!
So if you come up with any bright ideas, please let me know!!!
I hope your Kaiden's head is feeling better!!
xoxo

Cherie' said...

Jackson is doing the same thing to Ben. Poor Ben always comes to me crying and in extreme pain because he was sitting there watching TV and for the 5th time Jackson threw his sippy cup at the back of his head, or a book or something else. Must be a stage. I actually had to spank him the other day because he hurt Ben so bad and time out was not getting through.

Jamie Hamilton said...

Poor Kaiden. As you know, we've had trouble with Allison being too aggressive, too. It seemed like it started between 12 and 18 mo. and has just started to slack off a little now. It really is a tough time.

Todd & Monica Knighton said...

Diana is hiting Alina as well, and Alina is just taking it without defending herself. I wonder if it is a stage the second child goes through.

Holly said...

Poor Kaiden. It might be difficult now as she is beating up Kaiden, but it might be an advantageous quality later.

That is really hard to get the message to Kaiden to fight back, but not have him think that it is ok to be aggressive anytime. We tried to teach Kailey to fight back against Allison, but she never really got it. She knew that she would get in trouble when she hit, pinched, etc. so when we would tell her to fight back with Allison she would always look at us like we were trying to trick her.