Monday, August 6, 2007

Guess who went potty!

That's right Kaiden used the big boy potty today, and me or Joe weren't even around! It was during church while Kaiden was in nursery. One of the little girls in there is potty trained and said she had to go to the bathroom. I guess Kadien heard her and said he needed to go too. His two nursery leaders, Holly and Jenny, are good friends of ours and know I've been wanting to get Kaiden potty trained. Jenny took Kaiden and Alina to the bathroom and Kaiden actually went pee in the potty!! Jenny said he was so excited so they came to the Primary room and told me all about it. I found a toy in our Primary birthday box to give him, so he thought he was pretty cool stuff. Later on I found Joe in the hall with Kalli and he couldn't believe it. We were so impressed and proud of our big boy. But I have to admit I am a little bummed that I wasn't there for the first time, but hopefully its just the beginning. Now I'm really determined to get this potty training thing on a roll! If any of you have suggestions or tricks of the trade feel free to pass them my way!

4 comments:

The Lindsey's said...

Good luck with potty training. We started Bennett before he turned 2 and he's now well past 3 and is just catching on. I think the big thing for us was that if he had a diaper on, he'd use it- so we had to get him in underwear so he could feel wet. The "feel wet" pull ups didn't do the trick. Also, I had to make myself stick him in underwear day after day even if the days were full of accidents- and by about a week he was getting it =). It makes for a lot of laundry...
Also, we bought the Elmo potty time movie and he LOVED it. I highly recommend it. It talks about how it's okay to have accidents and all sorts of fun stuff. It makes Rhett and I laugh everytime we watch it. Good luck!!

Craig, Robyn, Noah and Kaiden... said...

I'm afraid I have zero tricks to pass on - I tried EVERYTHING with Noah! We had rewards, we had a sticker chart so when he got so many stickers he could go to the shop and buy ANYTHING he wanted - he got two stickers and lost interest!
We tried just putting him in undies and asking him a million times to go to the toilet - he had three accidents in the space of an hour once and I have to admit that after that, I gave up. It was just such a waste of time, he just didn't want to do it.
In the end, he did exactly what Kaiden has done - he was at Toddle Inn where all the other kiddies used the toilet and he just decided he would to. It was as easy as that! On the Monday he was wearing the nappies, Tuesday he went to school and used the toilet and he hasn't looked back!
I was starting to get worried because he was only a couple of months off turning FOUR and he was still in nappies. I was scared he was going to be the only kid ever to still be in nappies when he went to school! But he is fine now!
So my only advice is to just let Kaiden go when he is ready. I guess all kids are different, but I think the more we pushed Noah the more he wouldn't do it! As my Mum said to me, they all get there eventually!
So good luck, Kaiden is certianly off to a great start :-)

amy said...

Yay!That is so exciting! I think it is easier to have someone else potty train your child. Good luck with it all...

annie said...

that is so funny that he did it when you weren't even there! i would have been excited yet bummed i missed it too. it was nice of your friends to do that for you.