Monday, August 6, 2007

A weekend at the Camp

This weekend was a very busy one. Let me first update you on my grandmother (aka MawMaw- I'm from the country what do you expect!). She has been in the hospital for over a week now with a compressed, fractured vertebrae. Its very common in older women and also very painful. While in the hospital she caught pneumonia, which just made things worse. Plus the meds they're giving her aren't very helpful. My mom has been there most of last week from Monday to Wednesday. She's been really worn out having to watch MawMaw be in so much pain and also having to sleep on a pull out bed in the hospital. Mom left Wednesday evening while my Uncle stayed with MawMaw.
On Friday mom was running errands and I was with Autumn visiting a friend of hers about 20 minutes away. While we were there my sister Shannon (aka Nana) called to let me know she had talked to mom who was crying and now headed back to Mississippi. I didn't know what was going on b/c I had just spoken to mom 10 minutes previous and everything was fine. But her brother had called to say he didn't think MawMaw was going to make it much longer. Me and my sisters decided to drive out as well, since it might be our last visit. It was really hard on the kids being in the car most of the day especially for Kaiden b/c once we got to the hospital he still had to behave and couldn't run around. But by the time we got there MawMaw was doing much better. She was so happy to have her great-grand babies there. Kaiden did wonderful, he was a little taken back seeing MawMaw like she was but it didn't take him long to warm up and show her his new race car. She couldn't move much but that didn't stop her from constantly trying to hold her babies. I was sitting next to her on the bed with Kalli she had her laughing and smiling most of the time we were there. I'm so glad we made the drive to visit and we were lucky enough that she was feeling pretty good. It was just really tough to see her in so much pain and not knowing how to help her. She has good and bad days and we're just hoping she can fight hard enough to beat the pneumonia. Once she does mom is planning to have her transported to a hospital here in Baton Rouge for a procedure on her back.
Once we left the hospital we drove the 1 1/2 hours back home and packed up for our weekend at a friend's camp. Chris and Heather invited all of my family to their camp for some fun on the river and a crab boil. Unfortunately this meant another 1 1/2 hour car ride. Kadien did really good and I sat in the back and watched the movie "Cars" with him. (This movie is his new obsession). Kalli got a little cranky towards the end but we survived. We enjoyed visiting and playing games once we got there and then it was off to bed- which was easier said then done.
Heather and Kalli and Joe and Kaiden taking it easy.
Joe and I slept in a room with a queen bed and 2 cribs in it. We've never had to sleep in the same room with 1 of our kids much less both of them! We tried putting Kalli to sleep first but she just cried and cried. It was getting pretty late so we picked her up and laid Kaiden down. While Kadien was trying to fall asleep I tried to get Kalli asleep as well. It wasn't quite working so Joe gave it a whirl and no go. Once Kaiden fell asleep Joe was going to bed so I went in with him and feed Kalli again which finally put her to sleep. My sleep was very broken with Kalli and Kadien both crying out once or twice during the night and then my usual bathroom break. Funny story shortly after I got in bed Kalli cried out just a little and it woke Joe up. He sat up in bed really quick telling me to 'Be careful! Watch out!' while he's moving the covers all around. Joe never hears Kalli at night so when he did he thought she was in bed with us and I was laying on her or something. It was pretty funny but it sucked b/c I had a hard time falling back to sleep after they woke me up.
Kaiden and Nana fishing

Now back to the camp this isn't your regular fishing or hunting camp its a beautiful house off Belle River. A good way to describe it is like a nice lake house but only its on a river instead. Its just beautiful out there and we had a wonderful time. Kaiden enjoyed playing with Chris and Heather's boys, Zane and Seth, as they swam and jumped off the pier. We ate some delicious crabs that Chris caught himself and towards the end of lunch it started to poor. We were kind of bummed b/c we hadn't even been boating yet. Luckily the rain didn't last long and it cooled things off a bit. We then enjoyed jet skiing and boat riding and Kadien even rode on the inner tube with me. I wasn't sure how he'd react but he loved it! The water was very choppy and it would rain every now and then but it was still so much fun. Once again we were very impressed at how well Kaiden did in the water. He was very hesitant about jumping off at first so we started out by dropping him in the water and then I would jump off holding his hand and then he was doing it all on his own! My brother took some great pictures of us out on the water and Kaiden swimming so once I get those I'll be sure to post them. But for now here are a few I took with our camera.
Seth jumping off the dock and me and Kadien taking a dip
Kaiden eating a snack after an afternoon swim.

Kaiden's first time for crabs. They were delicious!
(Papa, Kaiden, Aunt Lisa, Me and Auntie Autumn)

Our family picture after a day full of fun

5 comments:

annie said...

i'm so sorry to here about mawmaw. i definatley know how it feels to have a grandparent sick like that. it sucks. i'm glad that she is feeling better though. it sounds like you guys had fun at that house though.

Anonymous said...

Ya'll look like ya'll had a great time. We need to buy a house on the river and go in half... What cha think ??

Murray Family said...

Hey!! It was good to hear from you! I had to check out your blog. Your kids are so cute!! I can't believe how grown up Kaiden is...time flies!! Looks like you guys are having a way fun summer. I'm happy that I'll be able to keep up now on how you guys are doing! Aw...aren't blogs great?? ;)

Meg said...

I love camping :-) You guys looked like you had so much fun. And have I mentioned how much I smile everytime I see Kaiden cheezin it :-)

7 Baldwin's said...

The camp sounds awesome!!! I'd love to vacation on a lake or river or a beach house. Just being able to go out and be on the water must have been awesome! Super cute pics too by the way!!! What a fun summer!