Thursday, August 16, 2007

Potty Training Update

Kaiden after using the 'Big Boy Potty'
The Sunday after Kaiden pee pee'ed in the potty I went all out buying all sorts of potty training things. We bought a pack of Pull Ups, some Thomas the Train undies, Elmo goes potty DVD and a few toys as rewards. I didn't really start encouraging Kaiden until last Wednesday on the 8th. Early that day I had him sit on the potty after his nap and he pee'ed a little and we were both very excited. Later on I put him in some training pants that my mom gave me and he was doing pretty good. My Dad, and two sisters were over and Joe just got home from work when Kaiden started peeing on the floor. He didn't know what was going on since it was running down his leg. He held the rest in while we raced to the bathroom. He sat on his 'Big Boy Potty' for nearly 10 minutes peeing and even did a little of #2. I sat by him on the tub and we clapped and even did a little dance while he was pottying. Joe even came in to tell him what a good job he was doing. When he was finally done he went in the living room to tell Papa and his two aunts what he had just did. He was so proud of himself and it was nice that everyone was there to cheer him on. He also got one of his toys as a reward, Doc from the movie Cars, which he has yet to leave the house with out him. We even called a few people on the phone to tell them the good news. What was funny a few minutes after he pee'ed in the potty my sister, Shannon, left. Kaiden wanted to watch her out the window, like he always does, and he ended up peeing on the couch. He sat on the potty so long just minutes before I really didn't think there would be any pee left in him but I was wrong! So we rushed to the potty again and sat for another 5-10 minutes.
Thursday he did pretty well. I had him sit on the toilet several times and you could tell he really tried to pee even if he didn't need to. But he was still having accidents, it didn't seem he knew when he had to pee until it was too late and dripping down his legs. Friday I could tell he was getting a little frustrated. He kept whining for the other two reward toys, Tow Mater and Sheriff (also from Cars- its his new obsession) and would get so upset when I told him he couldn't have them until he went potty twice w/o an accident. He would sit on the potty but it was always after he had already started peeing. So it was a constant battle to get him on the potty and then he usually didn't do anything once he sat down.
By Saturday it was up to Joe b/c that morning I went to the temple with my mom and sister and then helped my mom make some gumbo. I was home for lunch and Kaiden had already had an accident or two and didn't want to sit on the potty before we put his diaper on for his nap. I had left before he woke up and by the time I got home he had several more accidents and Joe said we were out of undies. Kaiden was also getting more and more upset about being asked to go and sit on the potty. We don't want the potty training experience to be negative for him so we've decided to take a little break for now. I still ask him often if he want to sit on the potty but if he says 'no' I leave it at that. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can for him and he gets some candy each time he pees in the potty but we're just not going to push him. I can't say that I miss having to clean up pee all over the floor! Thanks to all of you for the advice and like most of you said, 'take it easy and don't push them too much. Its really on his time table not mine.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Good luck with that...we're not to that point yet with Aiden. Thanks for the advice on the big boy bed....we've also backed off on that and just let him play till he falls asleep and this time he stayed in bed! Yeay!

Anonymous said...

it sounds just like typical potty training! imagine having 12 kids that age all potty training. that's what is was like when i was working. i spent more time in the bathroom with kids then in the classroom! he'll get it and it sounds like he is already doing a good job. and most boys don't potty train fully till almost three to alittle over three, so you still have some time before you should worry about anything. in my opion it seemed the boys didn't really care as much as the girls, i wonder why? if i were you i wouldn't give him too many treats because then he'll start to expect it and you'll have more fits then you want. i am so glad it's going this well for him so far! love ya'll, jeni

Kelli said...

We used the rewards system with Hayden, but just suckers and little dollar store toys, but I put the potty chair in the living room so it was more accessible and he ran around for 3 days with no pants or diapers on so he could pee whenever he wanted. Then I would make him sit on the potty chair every half hour. I blogged about it, I think in February, if you read it you'll see how frustrating it was for me! Good luck!

Craig, Robyn, Noah and Kaiden... said...

I swear that story was just written about Noah! That is exactly what he was like when he first started, I always thought - if he can do it once then why can't he do it all the time?! But apparently little tuckers don't think that way!
I agree, you have plenty of time for him to be trained. Both Noah and his cousin Lachie were only a couple of months off four when suddenly it all clicked and they basically just trained themselves! It was only maybe 2 months ago now that Noah was in nappies day and night and just would NOT go to the toilet, he would run and hide when he needed to go so I wouldn't make him use the toilet! But now, in just 8 or 9 weeks, he is trained day AND night!! I still can't believe it!!
So be patient with Kaiden, he'll get there eventually. And he sounds like he is on the right track so it shouldn't be too much longer!
xoxo

annie said...

that just brought back a TON of memories of potty training and i'm not looking forward to potty training brynn. she is a lot more stubborn than sydnie ever was so i can only imagine that it will be worse