Sunday, October 19, 2008

Start Student

Kaiden was the Star Student this past week and he was so excited! Being a Start Student has its advantages like bringing the Goodie Bucket home to fill with goodies for the next week and being the line leader all week! You can imagine why Kaiden was so pumped! They were learning the letter 'D' for the week and I was determined to be creative and find things that started with 'D' for their treats. Each day if the kids have been good they get to bring a treat home from the Goodie Bucket but if they've misbehaved no treat. I'm not a big fan of Kaiden coming home every day from school with candy so I really wanted to get something fun not sweet! We have tons of little plastic dinosaurs that were given to us from a friend so I thought that would be a fun thing to add to our Goodie Bucket and its free and starts with D! Even after Kaiden gave 2 dinosaurs to the 11 kids in his class he still has at least 15 so he's not missing out especially since many of them are duplicates. I did prep Kaiden before hand to let him know that he was giving them to his friends at school and they were going to bring them to their house. He,luckily, was okay with that. Then I decided to give the kids one day of candy and bought a bag of Dots Candy. The last and final treat was a little harder to pick out. It took me forever to think of something and I was about to give up and give them slinky's. Which are way fun but obviously don't start with D. I ended up walking down the Halloween aisle and found some cute pumpkin Drinking straws that were 6 for $1. Nice! And to make me feel even better they actually did say Drinking Straws on the package! Kaiden was also able to bring a show-and-tell item. Him and Kalli have been really big on watching Diego's Great Dinosaur Rescue and what better thing for show-and-tell than that! They were even able to watch some of it throughout the week. My favorite part of Kaiden being the Star Student this week, besides my creative thinking, was going to school with him and helping his teacher on Donut Day. Kaiden and I picked up the donuts that morning and Kaiden made it a point to tell everyone in the shop that we were getting donuts for his school. It was pretty funny but not so much when he started demanding the white donuts and we were getting the glazed! I was also able to help Mrs Shawn in the class by passing out the donuts and getting the kids drinks. It was a lot of fun to see Kaiden interacting (or misbehaving!) with his little buddies and it was comforting to know he wasn't the most misbehaved in the class! I was going over Kaiden's papers from school with him on Friday and found out he didn't get a smiley face one day last week. And whataya know it was the day I was there! I don't know if having me there had him a little too excited or the donut sugar rush got to him but regardless Mrs Shawn still wants me to help out when they start doing some finger painting next month...exciting!
So here's the 'D' Goodie Bucket and my cute Star Student!
Sorry for the low quality but they're from my phone...still no camera!

4 comments:

thecaillouets said...

thats very creative for the treats. i am glad kaiden is doing so good at school. reading about everyones kids going to school makes me sad to know brooklyn will be there sooner than later

Kelli said...

I love watching Hayden at preschool, especially when he doesn't know I'm there. Sadly, they don't have star students and I can't see a reason for me to ever go in and help the teacher, but it sounds like Kaiden had a good time. By the way, I told Jeremiah he wasn't allowed to be friends with Joe anymore. First Halo dolls, now playing til 4:30am? =)

Jamie Hamilton said...

Those were some good ideas for "D" treats; it's always fun to get to exercise your creativity a little. It sounds like Kaiden is having a good time at school.

Lacey said...

HOW FUN! Elodie tells me every week what leader she is and all the kids in her class (there are only 6 of them.) She likes being the line leader and the weather helper most of all!