Monday, October 6, 2008

Gustav comes to town!

Monday Sept 1
Most of you might remember this day b/c a little hurricane named Gustav came into town. There are so many mature trees all around and over our house so we decided to ride the storm out at Aaron and Lisa's house. We had a really fun night on Sunday playing games and goofing off. The kids slept great and Kalli tested out Greyson's port-a-crib for him and it works great! The next morning Joe was a little disappointed that the weather wasn't "hurricane like" and hardly even raining much less windy. We watched a little tv and saw that the storm hit later than expected but still nothing was going on where we were. Joe and I lived in Utah when Katrina hit and the following year when we moved to Louisiana Joe was secretly hoping another hurricane would hit so he could experience it. So he was excited to have the chance to 'live' through one and what was suppose to be a big one. So you can imagine his disappointment when the ground wasn't even wet when he woke up. Well right after lunch time the boys couldn't play X Box anymore b/c we finally lost power and the rain and winds were starting to pick up. Joe went out with the kids for a while but was still disappointed that it wasn't strong enough.
Since it was the kids' nap time we all took it easy and Joe fell asleep with Kaiden. Lisa, aka worry wart, couldn't fall asleep b/c the wind was really getting strong and she kept hearing it pound on her windows and would freak out. We were finally able to get ahold of my parents and the said they had just lost their patio cover and could hear trees snapping all over. My mom couldn't believe Joe was asleep during the worst part of the storm. So I went and woke him up and he was back out in the wind once again. He would run out and then come back in a little disappointed each time. Then a few minutes later the wind would sound and look stronger so he'd go back out. I think he wanted to be completely knocked off his feet...which would of made for great tv! Since we didn't have a camera I mainly just video taped. I think the main thing was the rain. It was like needles pounding on top of you. The kids woke up and we let them play back out but had jackets with hoodies on so the rain wasn't so hard. Kaiden ran out once and it hurt too bad so he was too scared for a while but Kalli was right out there with her dad-I'm telling ya this girl has NO fear! I got a video of her totally getting knocked over by a gush of wind which was pretty funny. She was a little startled but was up and running back out in no time. Kaiden couldn't miss out on the fun for too long and decided to join her. Then the geese showed up and Kaiden got a little hesitant again, with good reason. A month or so ago me and the kids were out playing in Aaron and Lisa's backyard throwing rocks in the pond. It wasn't long before the geese started swimming close, thinking we had food. I told Kaiden to go get bread from Lisa but he didn't want to and kept throwing rocks. As the geese got right on the bank Kaiden tried feeding one a feather, it obviously wasn't amused and started pecking right at the ground for some food. He nibbled on Kaiden's toes, then Kalli's and next to Kaiden's shin and on up to Kaiden's crotch! This all happened in a matter of seconds so I couldn't even move them in time before it happened. But Kaiden started screaming and I could barely control myself to pick them both up and run for it! Once we got in Kaiden was telling Joe, Aaron and Lisa how the goose tried to eat him. It was so funny, I just wish someone else could of been out there with me to enjoy it! I know I'm awful but it was hilarious!
So you can imagine why he was nervous about playing in the yard with the geese right there, he didn't want to get eaten again! Well once the storm seemed to die down we decided to pack up and drive to our house to see the damage. As we left Aaron's house and saw all the trees and power lines down I felt sick to my stomach. We had to turn around several times to try and find a way out that wasn't blocked by a tree and finally did so but had to go under to power lines supporting trees on top of it. That was a little freaky! I was so worried thinking of what we'd do if a tree had fallen on our house. It really made me ill and I was a nervous wreck the entire time on the way to our house. Luckily everything was fine. Lots and LOTS of tree limbs were in the yard and some trees were split but luckily none of them landed on our house, just ALL around it! It was a mess but I was so happy none of our belongings were damaged, well besides the little green shed in the back- that was demolished! My parents were lucky as well and though there were trees down all in the woods behind their house non of them on top of the house. We were lucky my dad didn't get seriously hurt. He was standing under the patio cover just moment before it fell. I'm so thankful for the safety of all of my family and friends throughout the hurricane. And although Joe enjoyed the moments during the hurricane he realizes what a pain in the butt it is afterwards. No power, no air, no food, lots of yard work, gas shortage, did I mention no air?? So hopefully he got his hurricane fix for the next few years!
I do have to say what an amazing husband I have, me and the kids evacuated to the beach and he stayed behind. (Post to come) We left on Thursday and when we got home early,early Monday morning every limb was picked up! Our yard looked amazing! He worked his booty off that's for sure! Thanks baby!

3 comments:

Maxwells said...

Does Joe play online (Xbox)? MIke plays halo 3, is it.

Tiffany said...

Wow! How scarey. I can't believe Joe wanted to experience a hurricane!!! Glad you made it through okay. :) Those storms are so big and powerful, they're so scarey!!! I guess there is something wherever you live though!

annie said...

i'm glad that you put those pictures on there, it made it all more real for me to see those. i'm glad that everyone was ok.